[ t h i n k ]
If you can’t beat them (robots), should you join them? The quantified self will evolve to the optimized self, meaning humans will be supported by extreme wearable and embedded sensoring enabling real-time, on-demand guidance from a commercial cloud coach (Google?) for every step, move, and decision they make whether it’s at work or on the playing field; i.e., becoming more machine-like. The dark side is that humans’ born-with intelligence and cognitive skills and capacities will atrophy just like a broken leg in a cast. It will be the end of thinking.
- Will this item still be relevant a year from now?
- Does it make you think about things?
- Does it challenge you?
- Is it excellent or praiseworthy?
- Does it address permanent and universal human concerns?
- Is it a big idea, game changer, disruptor, breakthrough?
- Does it influence other great works?
- Is it respected by experts?
- Is it cool and on the edge?
- Does this reflect the spirit of the times?