“Skype Translator is the most futuristic thing I’ve ever used, It’s like something straight out of science fiction.” by Peter Bright – Dec 18 2014.
by Scott Pickard
People still like to do business on the basis of good faith and a handshake. The Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) can put in writing what you want to do based on common sense and plain english. It should be one page, take you less than 30 minutes to write, and you’re off and running.
Genius is an online platform that will allow anyone to make their website annotatable. Today, you can add any text you want to Genius, annotate it, and then embed it on your website.
There is an opportunity to develop a social radar system that utilizes big data pulled from various sensors, social media, international marketing firms, polling firms, and other sources of data, which is applied to socio-cultural analysis (SCA) and predictive analytics to avoid strategic surprise in support of the long-term stability and resiliency monitoring and understanding of at-risk mega-cities; and, the reconstitution of societies torn by conflict or natural disaster. This could form the basis for a global systematic monitoring and forecasting system for planning left of bang stability and resiliency operations. This system could be leveraged by public and private (corporate) policy makers, and military and intelligence communities.
Important statistics supporting the need for the social radar:
- 95% of population growth to 2050 will be in developing countries
- The majority of this population growth will be concentrated in the world’s mega-cities
- Megacity slums in the developing world present long-term security risks due to the rapid increase of under- and ungoverned populations
- These areas are poorly understood due to the lack of governance, inadequate data collection techniques, and the highly dynamic socio-cultural environment
- Approximately 20% of the world’s states are now considered failed states or are at severe risk of failing, which sets the stage for progressive phases of unrest, instability, violence, political crisis, revolution, war….. Many of the at-risk mega-cities exist within these failing or high-risk states
Such a project could benefit by a multidisciplinary team drawing on some combination of the following disciplines:
- Big data and predictive analytics
- Communication networks
- Complex systems
- Critical infrastructures: stability, recovery, resiliency
- Formal methods
- Game theory
- Image processing
- Modeling and simulation
- Natural Language Processing
- Secure cloud computing
- Secure remote sensing and wireless transmission
- Smart Grid
- Social media
- Social science: humans and trustworthiness
- sp -