For all of us that have a commitment to living out our years in Illinois, it’s a very scary proposition. I’ve got a State pension and who knows what could happen 5, 10, 20 years down the road. I guess I’m going to find out.
Illinois is in a slow bankruptcy burn. I’ve been inside companies that went bankrupt and Illinois has all the signs:
- overwhelmed by crushing debt that grows daily
- harassed by creditors from every angle that is slowly grinding the State down
- a delusional hope springs eternal denial of the problem
- citizen’s clueless to the real magnitude of the problem; or,
- they simply don’t give a shit because there is nothing they can do about it and when it all blows up, they will just move on down the road
- the problem is unfixable
- the State is checked
- the State is….. checkmate
The State will eventually hit the wall and either goes through a “simulated” bankruptcy; or, everything and everybody blows away like dust in the wind.
Chris Kennedy and other wealthy businessmen-politicians mean well but will only give us what the classic quote tells us and we all know deep down: “If you keep doing what you have always done, you will keep getting what you have always gotten.” But, I do admire that Kennedy et al want a crack at the State’s Fiscal Gordian Knot and are chomping at the bit to kick out Governor Bruce Rauner on his billion-dollar country club ass.
The politicians will NEVER solve the State’s Fiscal Gordian Knot in our lifetimes. Only the people can solve this by:
- firing every sitting politician all the way up to the governor
- hiring a third party turnaround trustee-manager person that does not live in Illinois and is clean of any conflicts of interest
- have the person report directly to the people
- have the person manage a “moonshot” competition to develop a 50-year plan to reach financial sustainability
- any person and/or team on the planet can submit their moonshot plan
- have the people use “approval voting” to vote for the best moonshot plan
- the winning moonshot team gets $100M paid out over 50 years contingent on performance of the plan over time
- while the plan is playing out, re-engineer and revolutionize Illinois government so this never happens again
All you radical-thinking, clear-thinking people out there, here’s your chance to make your mark, never have to work again (unless you want to), save Illinois, and in the process design a revolutionary financial roadmap for the rest of the world because we’re all going to need it.
Crazy, you say?
Have you got a better idea?
- sp -