Matter & Energy
A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking
Brief Answers to the Big Questions by Stephen Hawking
The Big Three:
- How did it all begin?
- Where do we come from?
- Where are we going?
Why is the universe expanding?
- What is beyond the observable universe?
- Is it a good idea to randomly send earth’s address in space to the cosmos?
What is the lowest level machine code for how our universe works? (Wolfram)
In time, can we efficiently, reliably, safely, sustainably, and economically get 100% of our energy from wind, water, and solar (WWS) power?
Big Picture / Matter & Energy
- Structure and Properties of Atoms
Energy and the States and Transformation of Matter
- Chemical Elements
- Chemical Compounds
- Chemical Reactions
- Galaxies and Stars
- Solar System
- Survey of the solar system
- The Sun
- scientific exploration: Solar Orbiter
- Planets and their satellites
- Earth as a planet
- The Moon
- Further reading
- calculate the number of probable, communicating civilizations in the universe: Drake Equation
- deepest, widest image of the universe: Large Synoptic Survey Telescope
- extraterrestrial life (aliens):
- Childhood’s End Clarke
- research: Breakthrough Initiatives
- uniformitarianism: The same natural laws and processes that operate in the universe now have always operated in the universe in the past and apply everywhere in the universe.