In the modern economy, there are few skills more important than the ability to keep learning.
In my day, lifetime learning was a hobby. Today, lifetime learning is a necessity to keep one’s job and to qualify for that next job. It is a fact of survival in today’s workplace that employees must keep running as fast as they can on the never-ending lifetime learning treadmill.
So in addition to saving for your kids’ college, start teaching them how to master the skills of the lifetime learner:
- independent study and research (remote)
- computer, software, and mobile device skills
- building and leveraging professional networks
- balancing virtual and real worlds in a healthy way, and
- defining success for oneself, not by others.
Also by sp:
How has the pandemic disrupted education for the better and/or the worse?
Does busing work as a school desegregation strategy?
- What do black parents and students really want?
- What do white parents and students really want?
Can schools be made safe to go back to school?
How does racism function in the classroom?
Has the forced online family distance-learning experience during the self-quarantining COVID-19 crisis confirmed the importance of brick-and-mortar schools because kids need
- professional teachers (sorry, mom and dad!)
- daily structure and routine
- socialization with other kids and teacher faculty, and
- libraries, labs, gyms, auditoriums and cafeterias?
Aims and Organization of Education
- Philosophies of education
- Learning process and the teaching art
- Organization of education
Education Around the World
- Systems of education
- History of education
- International education activities
- adaptive learning: knewton \
- Asia & Africa: Room to Read
- best practices: edutopia
- busing: Why Busing Failed by Matthew F. Delmont
- classics: The Great Courses
- curriculum, assessment, tracking, reporting:
- getting unstuck from the past: The New Education Davidson
- gig economy disrupts college: The Adjunct Underclass Childress
- prison: Education Justice Project
- racism in the classroom: White Fatigue by Joseph E. Flynn Jr.
- ratings: GreatSchools
- STEAM: science technology engineering arts math
- Awesome Physics Experiments for Kids by Erica l. Colón
- student debt: Is There a Better Plan for Student Debt Accountability than Wholesale Write-off? (sp)
- tax credit: Lifetime Learning Credit
- test prep: Magoosh
- travel programs: roadscholar
- videos: khanacademy