ON THE BOULEVARD, Champaign, IL, 4/14 – Present
- Independent Writer: I am an independent contractor working with private and public organizations to provide business and technical content that supports operational needs, and general interest articles for print and online publication.
UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS, Champaign, IL, 4/02 – 4/14
- Associate Director, Information Trust Institute (ITI), 2/09 – 4/14
- Responsible for managing internal and external stakeholder relationships and developing new opportunities for ITI’s research, education, and technology transfer programs. Supported the Director in the management of a high-growth, large-scope, interdisciplinary scientific research unit within the College of Engineering. Interacted with and supported ITI’s research faculty network (100+ researchers across campus) in the pursuit of large multi-disciplinary, multi-year, multi-institutional proposals.
- Director of Research Park & EnterpriseWorks, 4/02 – 2/09
- Represented the University in a partnership with an exclusive private developer to support the development of the University of Illinois’ 200-acre master-planned Research Park. Also managed the startup and development of EnterpriseWorks, a new 43,000 sq ft technology business incubator that graduated many sustainable technology companies based on intellectual property developed at the University of Illinois.
METRIS COMPANIES, INC., Champaign, IL, 5/99 – 3/02 (acquired by HSBC)
- Director of Operations: Managed the production operations for key operational systems for Metris, a rapidly growing public company (MXT) providing a broad range of financial services to the consumer. Organized and managed operational teams of systems administrators, database administrators, programmers, and business systems analysts.
ABERDEEN GROUP, INC., Addison, IL, 10/97 – 4/99
- Vice President & Director: While serving as a director, accepted an interim position to manage several operational areas during a period of major organizational restructuring prior to sale of the business to Hanley-Wood, Inc., Washington, DC. Aberdeen at the time was a 120-employee corporation that provided information services to the construction industry, including several market-leading technical feature magazines, the largest construction trade show of its kind, books, and seminars.
ERES CONSULTANTS, INC., Champaign, IL, 7/94 – 9/97
- President, CEO, Director: While serving as a director, accepted the position of President and CEO of a 70-employee international engineering consulting firm that specialized in pavement research, evaluation, design, testing, training, and software development. During that period ERES’s revenues grew from $2.5 million in 1993 to $6.1 million in 1997, with earnings before interest and tax (EBIT) increasing from $223,000 (8%) to $832,000 (14%) and book value increasing at an annualized rate of 15% from $833,000 to $1,470,000 in that same period. ERES was subsequently sold to ARA of Albuquerque, NM.
NORTHCAMPUS VENTURES, INC., Champaign, IL, 11/88 – 6/94
- President, CEO, Founder: Founded NorthCampus Ventures, Inc. (NCV) as a business development corporation to provide management advisory services to high-technology entrepreneurs and their boards, including business planning, raising financing, and interim management during critical periods of growth, restructuring, or turnaround. NCV was a founding member of the Champaign County Community Development Fund (1991). NCV published a monthly subscription newsletter, NorthCampus, which profiled local high-technology companies.
KUCK & ASSOC., INC., Champaign, IL, 2/86 – 10/88
- Vice President: Kuck and Associates, Inc. (KAI), was a software engineering company specializing in the research, development and support of optimizing compiler products for high-performance computers. Responsible for the development and implementation of business strategies for KAI including a successful $2 million private stock offering in 1987 to fund new product development and the acquisition and integration of a startup firm specializing in the development of numerical software. KAI was later acquired by Intel.
SULCON, INC., Champaign, IL, 9/82 – 1/86
- Vice President & General Manager: Managed the startup and development of an engineering and construction company specializing in industrial construction with a new thermoplastic structural material used primarily to build floors in acid industrial environments. Sulcon became the market leader for this new material, with revenues growing from $481,000 to $1,000,000 in three years, having completed 72 projects for 43 large industrial companies in 21 states.
AMERICAN CONCRETE INSTITUTE, Detroit, MI, 1/80 – 8/82
- Engineering Editor: First Engineering Editor of Concrete International (CI) during the startup of the magazine. Wrote and published over 50 feature articles on leading-edge construction technologies: traveled to the construction site; interviewed the principals; shot all the photography; did the complete graphic design/layout of the article.
DAILY & ASSOCIATES, INC., Champaign, IL, 4/72 – 12/79
- Project Engineer & Associate: Member of the design team on a variety of general civil engineering projects.
- Venture Capital Institute 1990, National Assoc. of Small Business Investment Companies (NASBIC)
- M.S. 1979 Civil Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC)
- B.S. 1972 Aeronautical Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC)
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- Champaign Public Library Board of Trustees (Treasurer), 2013 – 2015
- University of Illinois Community Credit Union (Secretary), 2009 – 2013
- Association of University Research Parks (AARP), 2007 – 2009
- Illinois Entrepreneurship Network, 2007 – 2009
- Aberdeen Group, Inc., 1995-99 (acquired by JP Morgan Partners)
- Coe-Truman Technologies, Inc., 1993-97
- Champaign County Community Development Fund, 1991-94
- Eres Consultants, Inc., 1990-97 (acquired by ARA)
- WhiteMoss, Inc., 1990-94 (now Ecothermics)
- Central States Communications, Inc., 1989-96
- NorthCampus Ventures, Inc. (Chairman), 1988-94