That’s a great question.
What is the right balance between Pritzker-style safety-leaning leadership, vs. Trump’s “banzai charge” to give the virus the finger (mask-less) and rush back to work and play?
Are our states and cities too big to fail?
What wasn’t the U.S. prepared?
Is it smart to use empty hotels to quarantine COVID-19 patients and prevent further infection of family at home?
What will be the long-term socio-economic impacts from the 2019–20 coronavirus pandemic?
When can America go back to work?
- How is the U.S. economy going to recover from this disaster?
- Are we caught in a looming moral disaster trying to balance the number of lives lost against damage to the economy?
- Should this be decided unilaterally by one man?
Are we ready for medical rationing and its unintended consequences?
- Will doctors be replaced by algorithms that will automatically assign an economic value to human life and make medical decisions accordingly?
After decades of decreased funding and demonization of the federal bureaucracy, has the coronavirus crisis exposed the tragic ineffectiveness of federal leadership at a most critical moment when we need it?
- Did Donald Trump demonstrate willful ignorance of the Coronavirus Pandemic?
- Does authoritarianism actually help in a crisis, or is the more important requirement how much the people trust their leaders?
Is protecting humanity’s future from existential risks the central challenge of our time? If so, what good do warships, warplanes, 14,000+ nuclear bombs, space force, infantry, commando teams, tanks, and aircraft carriers accomplish against
- lethal pandemics
- rising tides
- burning forests
- poverty and income inequality, and
- animal, insect and plant extinction?
How are we destroying the planet? How will we save it?
What are the biggest long-term risks to the global economy?
- Is COVID-19 sending us an emergency signal about humans expanding destructive impact on the biosphere and ourselves?
What are the long-term social implications of Artificial Intelligence?
- Is our compulsive use of digital devices out of balance?
Why would you support a religious community that constantly tries to deride and diminish your humanity?
- If you had to choose, would you rather live in a world without technology, or a world without religion?
Are science fiction’s themes of a Dystopian Society disturbingly visible in today’s world?
- How do we insure that our political system elects a president that serves the majority of American citizens, and not just half?
- How do we live in a world where disinformation is inevitable?
- Are a handful of internet companies facilitating the greatest propaganda machine in history?
Is rural resentment of liberal elites dividing America against itself?
Should the mega-wealthy commit to reducing the destructive effects of economic inequality?
When it comes to Virtual Reality’s impact on kids, how long is too long? How young is too young?
Are kids now officially citizens of a dual world, real and virtual?
Has this forced online family distance-learning experience during the self-quarantining COVID-19 crisis confirmed the importance of brick-and-mortar schools for kids?
But at the same time has the social, emotional, and intellectual value of online games been confirmed during this period of virus isolation?
Does the U.S. need such a large and expensive military?
How do we balance “self-defense vs. nonviolence, black power vs. civil rights” to achieve justice and equality for all Americans in a peaceful and secure way?
Is there a pattern of un-justice at the Justice Department these days, where criminal judgments always tilt in favor of political allies?
Is renewable energy essentially a shill for the fossil fuel, mining, and heavy industries?
What is a hero?
Is the purity of sports being poisoned by
- technology (AI, surveillance, wireless)
- the values/corruption in our increasingly uncivil society, and
- gambling and corruption?