Sign of the times.
Can cooking change your life?
Recipes are like magic spells that bring people together.
What’s in a name, like, Marijuana Pepsi?
What do the objects we keep say about us?
What is American Culture? What is the American Dream?
- alfa romeo: Giulia
- art+sports: Hamilton sings Go Cubs Go!
- Caesar’s Palace : The Who
- data: Pattern Recognition Gibson
- digerati: Nerdists rule.
- entertainer: Bruno Mars
- footware: inkkas
- icons: Kings of Cool
- marijuana beer: CBD IPA
- skate park: Kaos Temple
- activities: The Portlandia Activity Book
- art, design, visual culture: Colossal
- brand: shinola
- cities: Marfa
- collecting: baseball cards
- news: OZY
- travel: atlasobscura
- videos: SoulPancake
Magic and Myth
- animation: The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
- escape artist: Houdini
- magic: Harry Potter Rowling
- magical realism:
- santa clause: Polar Express
- sorcery: The Teachings of Don Juan Castaneda
- circus: Ringling Brothers
- culture wars: Baby, It’s Cold Outside
- dude: The Big Lebowski
- end of an era: Barns of Illinois Kanfer
- perspective of an incoming freshman:
- pop-up community: burning man
- SNL: Blues Brothers
- superbowl ads: Leaked 2019 Commercials
Weird, absurd, awful, bad, embarrassing, gory, gross, hilarious, unbelievable, ridiculous, scary, shocking, shameful, sickening, what were you thinking, you gotta be kidding me
- action figures: National Bobblehead Hall of Fame
- canceled: Roseanne Barr
- cease & desist: drunk TED talks
- conventions: ventriloquists
- do the dance: Baby Shark
- epic fail: Gucci’s black-face sweater
- festivals: Insect Fear Film Festival
- groups: Voluntary Human Extinction Movement
- pig out: Hogapocalypse
- strange: Gory Details by Erika Engelhaupt
- unexplained: drones
- you gotta be kidding me: Ig Nobel Awards
COVID-19, you've caused a fright.
I'm not feeling just right.
First come the sniffles.
Then I got the chills.
Followed by fever.
Head for the hills!