How do we live in a world where disinformation is inevitable?
Are a handful of internet companies facilitating the greatest propaganda machine in history?
Social media’s business model is not advertising, but it is changing behavior, and they gladly sell that massively powerful service to everyone including all the bad actors of the world:
- amoral corporations
- organized crime
- intelligence community
- terrorists, and
- any person or organization that wants to manipulate people to
- legitimize a lie
- win an election
- incite a mob, or
- make a buck.
I quit Facebook and recommend you consider it too not only to escape the propaganda and avoid potential hacking of your account, but to regain all the time you spend scrolling your wall and put that time to better use.
- antitrust: Anti-Monopoly Fund
- Information Wars by Richard Stengel
- LikeWar Singer
- Messing with the Enemy by Clint Watts
- Network Propaganda by Yochai Benkler
- The Billion-Dollar Disinformation Campaign to Reelect the President by McKay Coppins
- hook the next generation: Messenger Kids
- movie: The Social Network Fincher
- personalized web: The Filter Bubble Pariser
- roadmap to the future:
- sharing culture: