Did Trump and Barr undermine the integrity of the Justice Department? Is the normalization of redaction creating a fog of secrecy that obstructs democratic vigilance, accountability, and justice?
Will the Sackler Family behind Purdue Pharma ever face justice for the opioid epidemic?
Should Russia be banned from all global sport including 2021 Olympics and 2022 World Cup for planting fake evidence and deleted files linked to positive doping tests?
Is Boeing being made fully accountable for its actions?
What is the greater risk to our democracy: That our adversaries lie to us? Or that our own government, politicians, and corporations lie to us?
Corporations, CEOs, Boards:
- Exxon’s long-term delay/deny/deflect of climate change
- opiod crisis: Walmart
- Tyson Foods
- United Airlines
- Massey Energy
- fake it ‘til you make it: The Inventor
Data Privacy: Facebook and Cambridge Analytica
Despots: greed: The Despot’s Guide to Wealth Management Sharman
Immigration: separation & abuse: Immigrant Children
- BIG LIE: Republican Accountability Project
- collusion: Flint, MI
- corruption: Mike Madigan
- election/voter fraud: North Carolina
- hoaxology: Marjorie Taylor Greene
- insider trading: Sen. Richard Burr’s (R-NC) insider trading
- payoffs: Congressional payoffs
- racism: Virginia Governor Ralph Northam Scott Pruitt
- self-enrichment: Tom Price
- sexual deviancy and harassment:
Ponzi: Bernie Madoff
- Jerry Falwell Jr.
- 20 years, 700 victims: Southern Baptist Convention
- Catholic church:
- Archbishop Theodore McCarrick
Religion, sports, corporations, police, and the military are massive global communities that attract people who want to do good to make a difference in the world. But because they are so huge and complex, they also attract a percentage of impostors with bad intentions who infiltrate and hide within these professions to silently and secretly pursue evil and wreak havoc.
Like parasites, they are embedded hide inside their host. Their leverage is magnified by many times because they operate in an environment of trust which enables them to ambush kids and adults they are sworn to serve and protect.
This is a dark corner of human nature that will be very difficult to stamp out:
- Some priests and ministers will molest children;
- some cops will occasionally kill people on the street; and
- some soldiers will rape the women of their enemies.
Our only hope is to be constantly vigilant and never give up on the ideal of giving every woman, man, and child a chance to grow up in a safe and loving environment without abuse, without violence, without trauma, so that we stop replanting over and over the seeds of evil that may someday sprout again. — sp